- You are here: Home > Open for Business: Harnessing the Power of Social Media Streams
You are here
Open for Business: Harnessing the Power of Social Media Streams
Social media provide a rich seam of data on people, newsworthy events, social and professional networks, customers, brands, and opinions which researchers and companies are beginning to unlock.
Representatives from relevant industries are invited to join us at this free event to find out about the innovative techniques that researchers at Glasgow University's School of Computing Science are using to uncover new value from social media, and discover the commercial opportunities emerging from this space.
- Discover how our researchers are detecting real world events within a few minutes of their occurence from live witnesses - often before emergency services and news agencies pick them up.
- Find out how social media can be combined with sensor technologies to navigate smart cities and find the venues, attractions and hotspots or peaceful retreats to suit their interests.
- Learn how event organisation and business networking is being transformed by combining speaker and delegate social media data with a novel end-to-end event management platform.
- Realise how to connect with your organisation's alumni dynamically through their social media presence, without having to recruit or follow them.
- Understand the commercial opportunity that social media analysis presents your organisation.
- Take inspiration from young innovative start-up companies carving out their place in an emerging market place.
13:00 - Registration and Networking Lunch
13:45 - Introduction and Welcome
13:50 - From Sensors, Social Media and Smart Cities to the Entertain Me! App - Iadh Ounis, Craig Macdonald, U. of Glasgow
14:10 - Making Sense of Social Streams: Real-time Event Detection and Analytics -Joemon Jose, James McMinn, U. of Glasgow
14:30 - Using Real-Time Event Management Software and Analytics to Maximise the Impact of Your Event - Stefan Raue, Bizvento
14:50 - Invited Speaker (t.b.a.)
15:10 - Break and Refreshments
15:20 - Social Inputs for media sharing, Knowledge Acquisition, and the Next-Generation Information Systems - Peter Triantafillou, Nikos Ntarmos - U. of Glasgow
15:40 - Event Detection, Tracking Monitoring and Exploration in Social Media - Iadh Ounis, Craig Macdonald, Richard McCreadie - U. of Glasgow
16:00 - Discovering the Diaspora Distribution of Scottish University Alumni Networks - Kyle White, Simon Jouet - TheGither
16:20 - Invited Speaker (t.b.a.)
16:40 - Data Lab Innovation Centre - Engaging with Scottish Universities to realise the opportunities of "Big Data" - David Richardson - Data Lab.
17:00 - Closing remarks
17:10 - Networking
18:00 - Close